Friday, November 12, 2010

Tooth-Colored Fillings

Thanks to advances in dental materials and techniques, tooth-colored ceramic-polymer composites now substitute for the black mercury-metal amalgams of the last 150 years.  These tooth-colored fillings not only look like natural teeth, they are bonded to the tooth with dental adhesive to seal out leakage and decay.

Composite fillings are a mixture of glass or quartz filler in a resin medium that provides the tooth color.  Composites provide good durability and resistance to fracture in small-to-medium-size restorations.  Less tooth structure is removed in preparing the tooth for restoration, resulting in conservation of tooth structure and strength.  The strength of a filled tooth is proportional to the percentage of remaining tooth structure.  For larger restoration, crowns are placed to restore the tooth to its original strength to resist fracture under the load of chewing forces.

Several factors influence the performance, durability, longevity, and cost of dental restorations.  At Adult Dentistry of Rochester, Dr. Dulski evaluates the patient's oral and general health, the components used in the restorative material, where in the patient's smile the restoration is to be placed, and the direction and force of chewing forces that the restored tooth will bear.  To help you decide which restoration is right for you, visit http://www.dulski.com/restorative-dentistry.html.

Tags: AmalgamsSilver FillingsCompositesTooth-Colored FillingsCosmetic Dentistry

3 comments:

  1. I had old silver fillings in my teeth an I had some new decay on some of them. I had to get them refilled. Dr. Dulski office only do white filling in his office.
    After we had replace all the ones that needed to be, half of my teeth had silver and half had white. I didn't like the way that made my mouth looked afterward so I had all the other ones changed out.
    I love not having that ugly silver/black filling in my mouth it looks so much natural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of my composite restorations. I have been replacing my old amalgam fillings with composite when the amalgam fillings have started to leak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Dentists performs tooth restoration treatment to patients in Burlington. It helps to restore their smile back and keep it healthy. We are also able to match the colour of the resin to your tooth, to give you as natural looking a filling as possible.

    ReplyDelete